OkCupid Overview - Your Perfect Online Dating
If you feel lonely and no one from your social circle can understand you, you should know that there is a world of the other people. Today it is easy to communicate with them, to meet, and even marry them. Online dating sites like OkCupid help everyone to find happiness. Their motto says:No matter who you are, no matter what you’re looking for, OkCupid helps you find meaningful connections—whatever that means to you.
Believe it or not, the site has helped millions of people to get rid of loneliness. 50.000 dates happen every day owing to this site. This platform is the most mentioned in the New York Times “Wedding” section. It sounds impressive but… Is this site the best for you?
Four friends from Harvard have created the site and launched it in 2004. In 2012, OkCupid was named the most popular dating site with a mobile app. 2 years have passed, and the owners added 22 genders and 13 orientation options. And, it was an incredible idea that allowed people to be who they are online and find those who will understand them. If you have never seen a site that offers such a gender diversity to choose, you can register on OkCupid and let this platform help you to be happy.
The majority of the members are from the US, but you can meet there people from Asia, Latin America, and Europe too.
Even having more than 10 million users, OkCupid has quite a controversial reputation. The administration tends to make a lot of changes, experiment with their matching algorithm, and non-traditional approach to online dating. All these may either be accepted well and with applause or may trigger plenty of negative reviews. Well, any changes make people feel uncomfortable, and if you are not ready for some transformations, you should better search for another site. Yet, the administrators of OkCupid.com assure that they do everything for the people to feel comfortable, and any inconveniences are temporary.
How to register
Anyone can join the okcupid.com community for free. If you would like to register, you should open the main page and do the following actions:
- Enter your email;
- Create a good unique password;
- Choose gender from 22 options including androgynous, genderqueer, intersex, transgender;
- Enter your birth date and zip code;
- Fill in your profile.
Profiles on OkCupid
In your profile and in profiles of the other users you can see the data mentioned above (gender, birthdate, and so on). And, there are the following elements too:
- The percentage of the match. Any visitor to your profile will see how close he or she is with you. Moreover, there are even “Friend” and “Enemy” boxes that show the percentage of how bad or good it would be if you start a conversation. Well, these are just numbers, so you can ignore them, but do not complain if your dialog goes wrong.
- Rating. The stars that show the overall popularity of the user. You can give five stars to a woman you like, and she will see it! But, do not hope her to fall for you because of that.
- Online status and when a user was online.
- Buttons “Message”, “Remove/Add Favorite”, “Notes”, “Buy him/her A-list”, “Hide”, “Report”.
- Sections About, Photos, The Two of Us, Personality. You can add info to your profile there, as well as to know more about someone on the site.
- Self-summary. Usually, this box always represent some information, users leave it empty rarely.
- Text Boxes named “What I’m doing with my life”, “I’m really good at”, and other.
- Ethnicity, height, weight, and other details about the owner of a profile.
OkCupid reviews tell that anonymity is one of the best features of this site and one of the most useful security measures. Among the other measures, there are reCaptcha, SSL-encryption, and good work of Support Team whose members are always ready to help you solve your problems online.
Communication on Ok Cupid
There is only one way to communicate on OkCupid - messaging. Please note that you can communicate only with people who liked you, and vice versa. Some people may consider it as one of the cons, but it keeps members far from unpleasant conversations, spam attacks, and wasting time. But, if you get caught by a rude person, you can block this person and hide the conversation with him/her.
You can show your interest to people as well, by liking their photos, giving stars to profiles, and adding them to Favorites.
OkCupid is famous for its mobile app that is optimized and designed very well. The interface is intuitive, and even a newcomer can immediately start using it. The application is available for all Android and iOS devices.
All the essential services are free on OkCupid. The new users get a Basic membership that allows them to create a profile, send and read messages, and use Search. It is enough to start browsing the profiles and communicating with people you like the most. But, those users who want more may familiarise themselves with our list of services that upgraded membership gives.
There are two types of Premium Membership: A-List Basic and A-List Premium. They differ a bit. A-List Basic allows a user to:
- Use extended Search with such filters as body type, attractiveness level, public answers to questions of a user;
- See the list of people who “liked” you;
- See when your interlocutor read your message;
- Get rid of ad.
A-List Premium grants a user with such features as:
- Daily boost (profile is shown to the other Ok Cupid members more often);
- Answers to public questions of the other users;
- Message priority. The messages will appear higher in the box of your interlocutor.
Upgrading your membership worth it if:
- You want to find your partner as soon as possible, and you are an active user;
- Your budget allows it;
- You are looking for a serious relationship;
- You want to find love in your city, and this city is large.
Among all the top dating sites, OkCupid is the most affordable one. The team of this platform tries to make everything for everyone to find happiness, no matter how much money people have.
OkCupid members can buy either single months or packages. Packages are more advantageous.
Users can choose from two variants of membership. A-List Basic featured prices are:
- 1 month - $19.95;
- 3 months - $44.85 (25% of savings, $14.95 for month);
- 6 months - $59.70 (50% of savings, $9.95 for month).
A-List Premium is the second, upgraded type of membership. Its prices are:
- 1 month - $34.90;
- 3 months - $89.70 (14% of savings, $29.90 for month);
- 6 months - $149.40 (28% of savings, $24.90 for month).
Special features of OkCupid
At any dating site your safety is your priority. OkCupid team warns people that they cannot control everything and protect you every second. Your personal correspondence is hidden from the eyes of the moderators, so if you experience any problems with a user who misbehaves, you can always contact the Support team and get help.
You can follow these simple rules to avoid any troubles:
- Never send money and your financial information;
- Never give your personal data;
- Block suspicious persons;
- Report all suspicious behavior of the other members.
OkCupid cared even about their members’ offline life and health, and you can find their pieces of advice on this topic too, on the same page.
The answer to every single question that you may have is on the OkCupid blog. This site has one of the most popular and useful blogs about online dating. The majority of the articles touch such topics as “How to get started on dating site”, “How to behave online”, “How to create a perfect profile”, and so on. All the articles are conveniently divided into sections for you to find the needed page quickly.
Public questions are the way to show your personality to the whole community of OkCupid site. These are pretty common questions like “Are you a morning person?”, “Is astrological sign is important for you?”, and so on. The other users will see your answers and understand you much better.
Above we were talking about the experiments and changes OkCupid team sometimes takes on their site. Well, these changes happen for a good reason and for the other’s good: the developers reveal the results and share their experience with the other tech specialists. The blog is young: the first posts were published in 2015.
Pros and cons
- Very polite people on the site
- 22 genders to choose from
- Well-thought questionnaire during the registration
- A lot of filters in Search tool
- Users can see the percentage of matching with other members
- Simple interface
- Big blog with articles about online dating, tips, and useful pieces of advice
- The most useful services demand payment
|Company:||Humor Rainbow Inc.|
|Address:||129 W 29th St Fl 10 New York, NY 10001-5105|