12 Tips to Survive Long Distance Relationships
Nobody claims that maintaining long-distance relationships is easy, but that does not mean they are doomed to failure. Simple changes in habits, lifestyle and general attitude will help you maintain intimacy with a loved one.
- 1. Stay connected. Since you do not get to see in person, it is important for you to establish an emotional connection and maintain it as often as possible. You do not need to hold lengthy conversations every time. Frequent and brief communication will be a sign that you invest in the relationship enough time and effort. It will help you to stay up to date with events in each other’s life.
- 2. Talk about everyday little things. Do not think that every conversation you need to discuss your relationship, hopes or dreams seriously. Instead, focus on the little things, which would say a couple living together – shopping, householding chores, changing the decor in the apartment.
- 3. Meet your partner more often. Try to visit each other as often as possible with your work, study or finances. You need to see each other personally at every opportunity.
- 4. Try to get to know each other. As in any relationship, you have to take time to get to know your partner and learn to understand him or her. During conversations pay attention to what he/she loves the most (hobbies, interests, everyday activities) and try to learn more about it, then you will have more to discuss.
- 5. Support each other. Be there when your partner is bad when he/she is in trouble or other life difficulties. You should always be ready to help.
- 6. Build a relationship of trust. Trust is vital for any relationship, regardless of distance. Frequent use of email and other ways of communication facilitates the development of trust in a relationship.
- 7. Avoid wrong actions because you are angry or upset about something. Conversation is key point. Do not discuss problems as it can impede the establishment of contact. You cannot hold a good conversation if you are angry or in a panic.
- 8. Get something in common. Create the web page where you both can access, for example, a blog or photo album. It gives you a new way of communication and feeling that you do something together.
- 9. Do the same things at the same time. It will reduce the distance and build an invisible bridge between you. You will feel closer to each other, and your relationship will be strengthened. Read the same book or article. Watch movie or series staying in touch and discussing what is happening.
- 10. Maintain common interests. Select an activity you both like. For example, you can start online foreign language course. Do what you both are interested. It is a great way of being together and the topics source for conversations.
- 11. Let the partner feel unique. Try to do little nice things showing your love. You can write letters and send it by email. You can send small gifts, cards or flowers for no reason. Express mail and delivery services give you a way to send almost everything.
- 12. Establish contacts. It is important to feel that you occupy a certain place in partner’s life. Try to meet with his/her friends online or in real life. It will help you better understand each other and facilitate communication.
Remember, all relationships require hard work and constant attention, whether it is near or far from you. If you suffer obstacles together, it will strengthen your relationship.